Skip Navigation Links.      

Budapest

Budapest is truly one of the world’s most attractive cities, rich in both natural and architectural beauty. 

Thermal baths

Budapest is richly endowed with natural springs of thermal waters possessing various medicinal properties, and it is these that supply the city’s many thermal baths. Not for nothing is it known as the City of Spas. Among its most precious treasures are its sixteenth century Turkish baths, as well as the Széchenyi, the Gellért and the Lukács Baths, and the Rác Baths, which are currently closed for renovation. All are known for the healing qualities of their waters.

Museums

Aquincum Museum and Roman Ruins: (III. Szentendrei út 139): These two-thousand-year old ruins are remains of the Roman town of Aquincum, and include an impressive ruin of the amphitheatre. The contents of the museum include murals, mosaic floors, a reconstructed water organ and a diorama showing what and how the Roman nobility ate.

Introduction to Jewish Budapest

The success of modern Budapest was significantly due to the diligence and organizational skills of Jewish industrialists. There are still many memories of the period. The Jewish Museum reminds of the religious traditions, while the Holocaust Centre, which was opened in 2004, reminds of the terror. After 1990, a real Jewish cultural Renaissance began in Budapest. The city has the most populous active Jewish community in Central Europe, who cherish their religious, artistic and historical heritage. There is a much larger population of Budapest inhabitants with Jewish origin, who consider themselves Hungarian and do not practice their religion, but are interested in the history of their ancestors.

Walk in the Castle

The first citizens of Buda moved to the hills in the middle of the 13th century, after an unexpected, devastating attack by the Mongols. Later the royal court was relocated to the Southern end of the mountain – that is when the quarter began to boom. Buda became one of the most significant cities of Europe by the 14th century, the population was around 8000. It slowly declined during the Turkish rule, which started in 1541, and little remained of it after the liberating siege (1686) with 75 days of cannon fire. The Austrian authorities could count but 300 inhabitants in the city. It was later rebuilt, and the street lines were not changed, but most two-storey buildings had only one storey from then on. They built a Baroque town, hiding the ruins behind thick walls. It was under siege again in 1849, then rebuilt again to host Hungarian ministries. After a long and peaceful period, it was reduced to ruins again in January 1945. Several Medieval remnants were uncovered during cleaning up the ruins, and these remnants were not walled up again. Based on the traces, the walls must have been coloured everywhere.

 

Webmaster: Gate 575 Kft. 1213 Bp. Királyhágó út 34.